Lots of ABs don’t like to poop in their diapers, its too messy to clean up. Very true, but to me there is nothing more infantile then losing control and loading my diapers. It’s not going to be fun to clean up but that shouldn’t stop you.
The easiest way to clean up is to hop in the shower, but babies don’t get a shower after every poop and neither should adult babies. If you have a few things prepared cleaning up is a snap. Here’s what you do.
- First you need some kind of skin protection on before you poop. If you’ve put on a thick layer of diaper rash ointment or vasoline its going to be much better for your skin and much easier to clean up.
- Next you need a changing pad. I found these things called Kindermats, which is a plastic padded pad that folds up. It’s easy to clean and comfy to sit on.
- You need baby wipes, or the larger adult wipes are nice.
- In the cleaning department of most stores you can find latex gloves with a long cuff that go up your arm. If you don’t use the gloves your hands will smell like poop for the rest of the day.
- Next you need something to hold water, soap and washrag. Poop is not good for your skinand I’ve never had a lot of luck cleaning it all off with wipes.
- Its good to have a mirror so you can see how you’re doing.
- Finally you can stuff pillows behind your head but I find it easier to use a bean bag, otherwise you’re really straining to see what’s going on back there.
- Have a couple of plastic bags handy for the poopy diaper and wipes.
Now you’re ready to change.
- Get your gloves on and untape the diaper. When I’m wearing cloth I’ve had real good luck getting most of the poop off by just wiping with the unsoiled parts of the diaper, but that doesn’t work too well for me with disposables.
- Start by lifing your legs and wiping with baby wipes, it will take several, don’t lower your legs and don’t remove the poopy diaper yet. Since this takes awhile you may get the urge to wet, if you do it might just run down into the poopy diaper, or it may spray across the room. Great time to have a baby disposable to catch the pee then use as a diaper stuffer.
- Once your front is clean lean back farther and wipe close to the diaper then slide it out. If you did good you won’t get any poop on your changing pad, but if you did its easy to clean. Its probably best to wrap up the poopy diaper and put it in the bag now. Keep in mind where ever you change at is going to smell poopy for awhile unless it has good airflow.
- Next use soap, water and a rag to give yourself a good clean up. The rag does much better at lifting stubborn poop then the wipes do. Dry up good with a towel.Now you’re ready for a clean diaper.